GROTUS' ACORN

God girl grill gridiron

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The seventh bowl is filled with Vanderbilt

Another day, another level of confusion for these, your 2008 Auburn Tigers.

A more measured approach
first of all

If, as you read this blog, you realize that you fit these criteria
  • You are very interested in Auburn football
  • You did not get sent here from The Joe Cribbs Car Wash
  • You are not my dad
...then you should read what Jerry wrote in his most recent Monday Knee-Jerk. Or re-read it.

Spare a moment, indeed. It's worth remembering that college football means an awful lot more to these kids than it could, say, to me, nerdy blogging med student that I am. And that they're really giving their all in a season that is crumbling before their very eyes. It's sobering to remember that not only is college football the collected split-second decision-making of 18-23 year old males under extreme duress, it's probably the biggest thing they've participated in their entire lives. And this season is tougher on them than anyone else.

I was a little chastened to realize how hard we (I) can be on 'em.


...please don't go there

Regardless of their incredible domination of the opposing scoreboard, I'm still not convinced that this defense is entirely living up to the stats. It's frustrating to see not one, not two, but three tigers miss a tackle. To see 'em looking gassed in the first half versus the mighty orange suck. None of that is anything I'm accustomed to as an Auburn fan. Answer me honestly: if Tennessee had fielded even an average quarterback, is there any doubt the Volunteers would have carried the day?

It makes me even more nervous when Tuberville casually drops hints like this
It's a tough transition (to the spread), but I'm sold on it. Our recruits are sold on it. I prepared the team for this. I knew there would be growing pains.

...We should have won that game 13-0, to be honest.
...sweet Moses did Tubby just call out our defense?!



Men and women of the plains, place your fingers firmly in your ears and follow me in song: Oh say can you see, by the dawn's early light what so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming? Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight o'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming....


Again, duly examine the applicability of the three criteria, but...

Excellent article up at the JCCW detailing the many possible causes of our offensive woes.

However, I would disagree that the chickens ultimately roost in Franklin's coop alone. You can't blame the offensive coordinator for that nasty rash of early-season fumbles, for the line's failure to do anything but drive block regardless of Tommy's insistence that the blocking is easier, for the receivers' inability to run basic routes (such that Tony Franklin had to run the route himself to show them how it's done.) If you want to do that, tell me why Tony Franklin was able to get the job done when he supplanted Gorgeous Borges just prior to the bowl tilt with Clemson? I'm not saying he's blameless, but it seems there's more going on here.

1 comment:

The Pigskin Pathos said...

I fulfill one of the three criteria (insert joke about me possibly being your father here). I did find out about your blog through Joe Cribbs Car Wash and I am glad I did. I enjoy reading your stuff.

Keep the good working. Also, good point about the players, their age, and their greater desire to win than the fans. It is easy to forget that sometimes.